Thursday 10 March 2011

Wig Wobbles...

...I've had a few, too many to not mention. I know I'm exceptionally lucky to be in the position to have some excellent wigs and wig advice thrown at me by very good expert friends.  Nevertheless I was weirdly nervous to wear my first one, I thought I'd be rubbish at it. I'm not sure how you come to be rubbish at wig-wearing, but I'm pretty sure I don't think straight a lot of the time - I'll put it down to an under publicised side effect of chemotherapy.

I think its the self-consciousness of it. I know I'm wearing a wig (it feels like a hair hat, which instinctively makes me want to take it off whenever I go indoors. I sit on my hands in restaurants just in case), so I think everyone can tell. I'm pretty much over that now, but there have been many wig wobbles along the way.

DadJokes found it a bit hard to get used to too. He knows what my real hair looks like (not as good to be honest) and this was different, so kept trying to 'fix' me. I know his intentions were lovely - like telling someone their jumper is on inside out, you'd rather know right? - but me being hyper sensitive of anyone being hyper aware, I found it upsetting that he wasn't just telling me it looked amazing all the time.

The fact was it didn't look amazing all the time, because I hadn't broken it in. I didn't know you had to, I'm not sure anyone really does, but me being a beauty editor perfectionist, I have now found various methods to make mine look broken in - i.e like real hair.
My best one is this (more to follow)
The wig roots were too perfect (its the way they're sewn in) so I kept thinking my hair looked like a helmet. Needless to say no one else did, but I'm a worrier. So I took random sections (don't tong the whole parting, leave 'flat' gaps) and tonged them just at the parting to lift them up. Once I'd shaken them through and added some salt spray they completely changed the look of the whole thing, to the extent DadJokes stopped it with the fixing and started asking me how to get my hair looking as good as the wig when it grows back.

My experience is just with real hair wigs so far, so when I get my hands on a synthetic one, I'll keep you posted with my trials and doubtless, many errors. In the mean time, I consulted Charles Worthington, the Honorary Vice President of Look Good...Feel Better, and his far superior knowledge. These tips are from the LGFB Confidence Kit (which everyone going through this should get btw).



PROFESSIONAL ADVICE
1.      ' Colour:  choose a shade that complements your skin tone; for a natural look, go slightly lighter
rather than darker as the change will be less noticeable'
I went for my natural colour at first. I now realise the need for lighter. Today I am wearing it and, since it's 17.00 and I'm not my pigmented best, I look like Michael Jackson. Back from the dead.
2.      ' Finish:  When choosing a synthetic wig, it’s best to avoid those with a very high gloss shine, particularly if you want it to go unnoticed'
      I even add dry shampoo to my real-hair wig - my own was always on the scruffier side, so perfect hair feels like a flashing sign on my head that says 'WIIIIG!!!' 
3.       'Length:  always choose a wig longer than the style you want to achieve to allow scope for it to be cut into shape on your head'
4.      ' Size:  choose a size that feels comfortable and secure; if your hair has not yet fallen out, the wig should be quite ‘snug’ so that it fits well later on – or even better, try to find an adjustable wig'
        My Michael Jackson wig is adjustable, which is fantastic, except today I brushed it vigorously before I left the house, was late to a meeting, had said meeting, then met a PR friend for coffee before I realised I'd  unstuck the velcro and my hairline had travelled a couple of inches south. I wondered why my head felt so light on the journey in.
5.       'Cut:  consider having your new wig cut professionally to individualise it and enhance your natural features; small touches such as trimming and taking the weight out of a fringe can make a huge difference'
6.      ' Styling:  the best styling tool for wigs is your hands. Running your fingers through the wig to break up the hair will give it a natural finish. Wide toothed combs are also good'
        The best styling tool for my wig is Katie Selby. I am seriously rubbish at doing my own hair (I use 'own' in the sense of possession, rather than home grown) so I highly recommend an adept friend who can sleep over and is magic with curling tongs.





1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to let you know what a real inspiration you are. I can't imagine what you must be going through, but to write so beautifully and with such evident wit and humour about a subject so personal is incredible. This blog will definitely be in my daily reads xx

    ReplyDelete