Tuesday 1 March 2011

Bake Good Feel Happy

This makes me sound like I can bake, I really am (was) the worst cook on the planet. More on that later, but for now, a bit on how I have been drastically altered to LOVE cooking programmes, cooking, kitchen appliances - I bought a flipping pestle and mortar the other day - ingredients and lots of trial and error. More error really...

Jamie Oliver is my hero. I could watch 30 Minute Meals on repeat for days, in fact I do. He's just a genius at teaching through the telly. I've learnt so many tricks by osmosis, that my healthy living ineptitude and resultant depression has not only lifted, but become a fully fledged hobby. I even 'adapt' some of his recipes - how accomplished is that?  I do draw the line at 'pukka', and he does have questionable measuring skills (a tiny bit of olive oil my ar*e), but at this point, it is true love.


This recipe, that I adapted this evening (get me) has nothing to do with Jamie Oliver, but after three adaptation attempts over a four week period, I felt the final success story was worth celebrating. Oh and I promised the buckwheat banana pancake one too...


When you read the food post (imminent) you'll get my need for adapting, but basically, I love food, I love sweet things, I love biscuits, but I want to be healthy, so:


'Wheat Free, Dairy Free, Oat, Maple, Pecan, Banana Cookie Cakes'. I told you I was new to this.


Get: 
1/2 cup organic oats
1/2 cup gluten free flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinamon
1 organic egg
2 mashed bananas
1/4 cup maple syrup or agave - but if agave use less. Don't ask me how much less, just use Maple.
1 small handful crushed whatever you like organic nuts - In this case, pecan


Do:
Mix in a bowl, add some more oats (are you sensing my cooking style?) spoon onto baking parchment,  stick in oven for 20 minutes.


I say cookie cakes because they always stay a bit spongy, but hey, it worked for Jaffa Cakes.


Dadjokes' verdict (he doesn't particularly like healthy): "I had three, can I have more?"




Buckwheat Banana Pancakes


Get:
1 mashed banana plus one for serving
1 organic egg
250 ml rice or oat milk
100g buckwheat flour
125 ml water


Do:
Whisk, cook, eat with maple syrup.


(A very happy NB on Maple Syrup: It's natural, sweeter than sugar, but with less calories, has more minerals than honey,  is a good source of  zinc, and manganese, which are good for your immune system - very important for chemo patients.  This is the best food news I have heard so far. And Beyonce got skinny on it, although I'm not recommending that...)


2 comments:

  1. brilliant, I can't eat a lot of stuff that ISN'T in these, so I'm going to make them. I'm also going to go and have pour loads of maple syrup all over some porridge this morning and watch the weight fall off, yuuuuuuuummmm x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie is quite the celebrity in the Scruff household. In fact Mr Scruff really thinks he IS Jamie. If I squint my eyes and the lights are off and he doesn't speak I almost believe him. Anyway I digress. These biscuits look delicious, and like Natasha (Hi Tash!) my little girl cannot eat anything 'normal' as she is anaphalactic, so I'm always looking for free-from recipes. Nice one Sophie, will give them a whirl xxxx

    ReplyDelete